PS 184Q INSTRUCTIONAL FOCUS 2018-2019
To build teacher capacity to design coherent instruction in mathematics reflecting a balanced mathematics approach that includes opportunities for critical thinking and creative problem solving for all students.
Based on/Building On:
Based on/Building On:
- Authentic Learning Vision and 21st Century Learning
- Transfer of Learning Practices
- The need for improvement in using Curriculum Resources to support a balanced design in mathematics including rigorous problem solving
- High Level Questioning and Discussion in the mathematics classroom
- The need to ensure progress on rigorous tasks such as NYS Assessments- constructed response questions and NYC Performance Based Assessments in mathematics.
- To support the District Goal of improving math outcomes for all students by 2021.
- To support he DOE and district Algebra for All initiative providing excellence and equity for all students by having all students succeed on the 8th grade Algebra Regents
- To support the school vision of properly preparing all students for College and Career and the next level of schooling (middle and high school ) and the real world.
- Feedback from students and parents in how they feel about math
- Student success in completing Rich Tasks
- Units of Study that support student engagement and differentiation
- Improved student outcomes in summative assessments and instructional Report Data
How we believe children learn best at P.S. 184Q:
- We believe children learn best when parents and family members work with the school community to foster healthy habits and basic skills.
- We believe children learn best when there is balance present between teacher modeling and support and opportunities for individual practice and critical thinking.
- We believe children learn best by a balanced approach incorporating both engaging and challenging tasks that relate to real life, as well as opportunities to learn and practice necessary skills.
- We believe students learn best when they have opportunities for independent thinking as well as opportunities to communicate with peers and teachers throughout the learning process.
- We believe a balance between chosen and required activities will foster a sense of control and enhance the learning process.
- We believe that children learn best in a positive environment where rules and expectations are clearly defined and presented and explained.
- Success should not be defined by the completion of a task but by the engaging process involved in the learning.
- We believe that all students have the potential for success in a variety of areas including those that may not involve traditional academics.
- We believe in supporting students and addressing academic needs in a nurturing way that builds confidence.
"Excellence can be attained if we care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible." -Neila A. Connors